Tuesday, May 29, 2007

"Babylon" & the laundromat

I was at the laundromat last week. I used to hate those trips- but now I take a book and a notepad and do sermon study for the hour I’m there. No telephones! But there are sometimes other unique interruptions…

I was sitting near the door reading and jotting down some thoughts on my legal pad, when I heard the “thunk” of the clutch as my washing machine stopped. I hustled over, picked a dryer across from the washer, opened its door, and started tossing my clothes by the handful from washer to dryer. I slammed the dryer door shut, put in three quarters (eight minutes per quarter), and pushed the “run” button. I stepped back, glanced at my watch to make sure the dryer gave me the twenty-four minutes I’d paid for, and leaned back against the now-empty washer to finish reading the article I’d begun. Enter the “unique interruption”…

She was short, probably mid-sixties, with her gray hair pulled back into two of the wildest ponytails I’d ever seen. She was wearing a house coat over what looked like pajama bottoms, with slippers on her feet. And as she threw her stuff into the machine next to mine, she looked piercingly into my eyes and asked, “Is that one of my magazines?” glancing at the booklet I was reading. “Are you the young man who took my magazines?” She got one bonus point right away for the “young man” remark, but as for the magazine question, I was unsure if she was asking or accusing. “Magazines?” I responded innocently. “You look like the man I gave my magazines to last week.” “No ma’am,” I assured her, “I haven’t been here for several weeks.” As she continued talking, it became clear that she’d encountered someone the previous week to whom she had given some magazines to read. I gave her my friendliest smile- the one that says “it’s been really nice talking to you, but in case you didn’t notice I’m busy reading.” Obviously, I’ve got some work to do on that smile.

“No problem,” she said. In a flash she ran outside to her car, and returned with a small briefcase. Rummaging through its contents, she eventually pulled out three small pamphlets. The title on each said “Watchtower.” Oh man…

“I’m sorry,” I said, “but I can assure you- you can put those to better use elsewhere.” And then, almost as an afterthought, I said softly, “I’m a Baptist pastor.” What followed was one of the oddest conversations I’ve ever had.

“Then where’s your ‘sword’?” she asked challengingly as she glanced furtively at the booklet in my hand. Guessing she was referring to Ephesians 6:17 (“the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God”), I responded, “It’s in the car.” Then, as she reached into her briefcase and withdrew her Bible, I began to feel guilty at not being able to produce mine. She fanned its pages, and looked at me mysteriously. In a dramatic whisper she inquired, “Do you know about… ‘Babylon the Great’?” And her lingering stare as she awaited my answer was a clear indication that my response would tell her whatever it was that she needed to know about me.

“Revelation is in the apocalyptic genre,” I began. “And while many of its elements remain a mystery to me even after years of study, I believe that ‘Babylon the Great’ most likely refers to Rome.” The words had hardly left my lips when it became obvious from her expression that I had proven myself an infidel who had fallen hopelessly into her trap. She chuckled softly and shook her head- the same way a parent does when after weeks of focused effort, his little son once more jams his finger into his nose all the way to the second knuckle.

What followed was a series of cryptic questions, partial answers, and enticing inquiries which offered no substance and left me feeling hollow and angry. As politely as I could, I wished her a good day and physically extricated myself from the situation by returning to my seat by the door. And I thought…

… in similar fashion, the evangelical church of today has sadly distanced itself from many of the very people it is trying to reach. With a religious jargon known only to its members, it often confuses rather than enlightens. While called to share a message of forgiveness and redemption, it instead offers judgment and condemnation. It befuddles with cryptic questions while offering few real-life answers.

Yet the message we are charged to share is clear- each and every one of us will eventually choose our own way over God’s. That rejection of God’s Will and law is called sin, and the judgment for sin is death. But God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son, so that whoever believes in Him might not perish, but have everlasting life.

“Babylon the Great?” I still think it’s a reference to Rome. But thank God my future hope doesn’t depend upon a successful solution to that enigmatic puzzle. I’m a believer in Jesus, and He’s already done all the work to prepare my place in heaven.

No comments: